Educational software aims to make education more efficient and effective and also to make sure that certain concepts and terms in the education sector are practical.
The concept of educational software is a term used for any computer software which is made for educational purpose. It includes different ranges from language learning software to reference software and classroom management software. This software aims to make education more efficient and effective.
The aim is to make sure that certain concepts and terms in the education sector are practical and understood perfectly by students. Most schools employ different forms of education software.
History of the use of educational software
The use of computer software and hardware in education dates back to the early 1940s when American researchers developed flight simulators that used analog computers to generate simulated onboard instrument data. One such system was the type 19 synthetic radar trainer that was built in 1943.
In 1967 Computer Curriculum Corporation was formed to market to schools the materials developed through the association with IBM. In 1975, personal computers arrived with the Altair 8800 which changed the field of software in general with specific implications for educational software. By the early 1980s, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore PET, Commodore 64 (982) allowed the creation of companies and nonprofits which specialized in educational software.
Different types of educational software
The implementation of the educational software in classrooms has improved the performance of students and teachers both as this online education software has been an integral teaching tool for teachers as part of their lessons. The educational software firms have begun to create educational apps for students and teachers to make use of it as a learning and teaching tool.
These are the kinds of educational software that an educational institution should implement.
- Authoring System: This system helps teachers in developing their instructional software. They could build electronic flashcards of index cards for teaching children specific concepts. Also, they could build multimedia content such as reviews, tutorials, and lessons.
- Reference Software: Reference software can be used by teachers in research projects. This software allows students to access encyclopedia, dictionaries, thesaurus, and dictionaries.
- Desktop Publishing: This software helps in creating and designing newsletters, flyers, and handouts. This software can be used to inform students and parents about activities or events that are taking place in the school management system.
- Tutorial software: With the help of this software, teachers can teach students new lessons and give them a platform through which they could learn the lesson at their own pace. This software also consists of giving students new information for learning and giving them to practice and also evaluate their performance.
- Educational Games: There is various educational gaming software available. The education software companies combine educational gaming software and education into one. It helps young children to motivate them to learn new things.
Benefits and disadvantages of educational software
We have put together a few of the benefits of using educational software are as follows:
- Promotes creativity: The educational software helps boost the creativity of children in many ways. The kids are naturally creative and when they are put together with interactive learning, it can act as a powerful way that helps them in exploring who they are and the world in which they live.
- Learn about the cause and effect: Educational games are built on solving issues or reaching new levels. It is a strong tool that helps children solve problems on their own.
- Control the experience: Educational software also helps students the option to control the experience. With educational software, kids can control the pace at which they learn.
- Utilize a range of senses: Working the controls on an iPad or computer, helps with hand-eye coordination. The most important skill for handwriting is visual-motor integration.
Here are some of the disadvantages of using educational software in the classroom
- The software needs to be selected carefully to ensure that what is holding the attention of your child is also educating at the same time.
- It is not easy to find a school that has enough computers for every student. Thus, scheduling can become problematic.
- It is not easy to get the attention of a student when they are on the computer.
- When students spend more time using the computer than vision issues and muscular-skeletal injuries can arise.
Trends in educational software
Artificial intelligence -
Artificial Intelligence has become more advanced over the years. Now it is being used in the classroom as teaching assistants that students can ask questions to and it will find and explain the answer. It also reduces the amount of time a teacher needs to spend on a specific question and it allows the teacher to explain the more complex material.
Virtual and augmented reality -
These two are increasingly being used in the classroom as their technology becomes more affordable and powerful. ClassVR is a company that makes headsets and software for using VR in the classroom. They are used as reinforcement of old concepts and also as a way to come up with new ones also. A lot believe that there is a vast potential to make VR and AR commonplace to improve learning.
The scope of tools in the education industry is widening specifically with the arrival of artificial intelligence software and the private sector’s recognition of the vast potential attached to developing education-specific software.